Cataraqui Reflections

Friday, June 16, 2017

Morning Glory

Kingston has experienced more rain in May and early June of 2017 than it has in recent arid years. I mention this because my walk in the little woods is verdant with the abundance of moisture, making this mini ecosystem healthy and robust.


The bushes are crowding the path.


I am not sure what the name of this flower is, but it is plentiful.


Bonus! I found an immature raspberry patch along the trail.


Sometime next month, raspberries will go very well with the wild strawberries that now appear to be in several locales along the trail.


This yellow flower, on a stem about 3 feet tall, I first thought to be a dandelion, but on closer inspection, it appears to be another flower completely, adding a little yellow to the green surroundings.


I can now walk a little better, what with the new orthotic insoles doing their thing, so I have ventured into the little golf course adjacent to the path. Nature is into recycling too. This decaying stump is providing a nursery for the little plant growing within it.


This stump is providing a home for two large fungi.


The shading of the fungi brings to mind a coiled snake, perhaps as a deterrent for any animal that might find it interesting enough to take a bite.


In the picture below, if you look closely, it looks (to me) like a turtle about to take a big bite out of the fungi.


Fanciful thinking on my part - eat or be eaten.

On my return trip along the path, I saw a dove and a squirrel munching on the seeds that I had strewn on the path on my way in.


It's gratifying to see the birds and animals enjoying the food I leave for them.

On a more personal note, I purchased a new guitar - a Sigma GME, an everyday guitar made by Martin. Below is a picture lifted from a blog on the Sigma guitar.


It gives a brief rundown on the guitar itself. For the full article click the link below.


http://www.vintageguitar.com/25124/sigma-by-martin/


I just love this guitar. The sound is crisp and it is easy to play. It is also very light. Here are some pictures.


I also purchased a new strap, which I think compliments the colour tone of the guitar.


It is the mahogany wood used on the back that makes this a very interesting guitar.




I hope to get a lot of use out of this guitar in the coming days.

On Sunday, 11 June 2017, my sister and I drove north to the little town of Harrowsmith for a Old Time Fiddlers Open Mic.


When my turn came, I sang my two songs, which were well received.

A man approached me, remarked how much he liked my singing, then asked if I would be interested in being on his radio show, and perhaps playing a few tunes while there.


I thought it was a great idea. Ellis Wolfreys hosts a 3 hour show called The Wolf's Den on Wednesdays at Amherst Radio, on Amherst Island near Millhaven, Ontario.


Here is a link to their web site. The radio station bills itself as Born In A Barn - The Smallest Radio Station In Canada.


http://www.cjai.ca/


I am tentatively scheduled for this upcoming Wednesday, 21 June 2017. I'll know more in the coming days. Check back for more information. I hope anyone in the Kingston/Bath/Napanee corridor reading this will tune in to CJAI 92.1 to listen to hear Nancydee sing a few songs.

I'll take some pictures too. I need to take a ferry to get there. I am looking forward to being out on the water. I have heard that Amherst Island is like going back in time about 50 or so years. I should be able to get some good shots.

One last sunrise shot, taken a few days ago.


That's it for this post. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment