Cataraqui Reflections

Sunday, June 25, 2017

CJAI 92.1 Amherst Island Radio Broadcast Day

Wednesday 21 June 2017 dawned like most recent days, humid and cool. The weather forecast held the promise of sunshine and a low risk of rain. It sounded like a great day for a ferry ride adventure to Amherst Island.

My sister and I left a few minutes early just in case we needed them, but we had no difficulty in locating Millhaven on Highway 33, where we were to catch the ferry. It was very close to Kingston Ontario, where we live, about 19 kilometers. We were to meet our hosts at the Bath Legion, so that's where we headed.


Here we met up with Ellis Wolfreys and his wife Mary Lou, as well as Anne and Gord, who were to accompany me musically on the broadcast. Anne plays piano and guitar and had brought both with her. Gord plays bass. I apologize that I did not think to take pictures of this meeting. I will do better in the future.


We had breakfast and headed out to catch the ferry, the Frontenac II.





That's my car in the middle.


The ferry ride lasted about 20 minutes. Disembarking was handled easily and efficiently by the ferry workers.

A very short distance later, we arrived at the barn that is home to CJAI 92.1 Amherst Island Radio.


It appears to be a working barn, of which only this part is occupied by the radio station.

Inside, Ellis set up the room with microphones. I got a headset to listen through.


I had brought along the songbook that was lovingly created by my mother, Pauline Decker. She began writing it about 1950 and it has been used many times for many occasions. It just seemed appropriate that the songs I sang on this day should come from this book.


Here is a picture of my mother, Pauline Decker, with her beloved Hawaiian guitar, circa 1953.

And here is a picture of the Decker women: Pauline, Shirley and Nancy, circa 1974.


My mother would be proud of my performance on this day.

What can I say? The afternoon went by with much singing and playing. Ellis joined us with his guitar and played lead when he could. My sister harmonized with Anne on a few songs and we all sounded great, in my humble opinion.

I have listened to the broadcast and it does sound good to my ears. If anyone else would like to hear the broadcast, they need only follow this link that I have supplied. Look for the track dated 22 June 2017.

The Wolf's Den CJAI 92.1

http://cjai.ca/podcast-main/Wolfs-Den/index.php

You might have to copy and paste into a browser. For some reason, I cannot do it today. :">)


After the broadcast, there were a few minutes to explore before we had to return to the mainland. I found this old preserved building that I thought interesting.


And then, it was time to go.


Thank you Ellis Wolfreys for inviting me to sing and play with you and your friends on this day. I really loved it. ♥

No comments:

Post a Comment